The notes below will help you to finish your write up about the mystery activity completed in the lesson on Monday.
Who is Rosa?
- Rosa is a 16 year old girl who lives in the Manila, in the Philippines.
- She has left home to work as a machinist for Manila Fabrics.
- Rosa works for £4 per 12 hour shift, 6 days a week. Sometimes she works 7 days a week.
- 500 machinists also work in the factory where Rosa works.
- Rosa's company provide a room for her to sleep in, which she shares with 5 other people.
Who is Annie?
- Annie lives in Cheshire. She is married with 2 children and is unemployed.
- She is a skilled fabric machinist, now looking for another job.
- The factory where Annie used to work belonged to ClothesFirst, a UK clothing manufacturer.
The situation created at ClothesFirst
- Marks and Spencers profits were decreasing, their shareholders were becoming annoyed.
- In 1990 75% of clothes sold in M+S were made in Britain, now its less than 30%.
- M+S informed ClothesFirst that they were unable to pay them such high prices to make their clothes.
- In order to survive ClothesFirst closed its factory in Cheshire and moved its operations overseas, where costs are cheaper.
- M+S clothes are now slighly cheaper and its profits are slowly rising.
Click here to see the sort cards from the lesson
Now answer the question: 'Why is Rosa doing Annie's job?'